This weekend, the regular season came to an end, and with it Camberwell Magpies won our first Club Championship. Having finished runner-up to Monash Tigers in the JA Seitz Club Championship last year, we went one better in 2016/17.
Our tally of 612 points had us 47 points ahead of Dandenong Cricket Club. Our success was largely on the back of the 1st XI, who finished 9 points ahead of the Panthers on top of the ladder. The 2nd XI made the finals as well, although a poor second half of the season has seen them slide down to seventh on the ladder. The 3rd and 4th XI both finished 10th, and also didn’t bring their best to the second half of the season.
This sees the 1st XI take on Footscray next week at home, while the 2nd XI will head down to Frankston to try and secure a semi-final spot.
Some people’s efforts should be highlighted having helped contribute heavily towards the Club Championship:
- Club coach Brendan Drew; now in his fourth year as coach he has brought stability, knowledge and belief to the club.
- Neil Gray, who as well as being an assistant coach took on the role of 4th XI captain this season.
- The rest of his coaching staff; Steve Maxwell, Damian Shanahan and Jamie Cox for their support of Brendan and the playing group.
- The playing group for their collective commitment and efforts throughout the season.
- The volunteers and helpers at our club, who continue to make life easier for our playing and coaching staff.
While it’s a wonderful achievement, the club’s aim is to add more silverware to the cabinet in the forthcoming weeks.
Camberwell Magpies and the Club Championship
- 2016/17 – 1st (612 points)
- 2015/16 – 2nd (623 points)
- 2014/15 – 9th (482 points)
- 2013/14 – 13th (387 points)
- 2012/13 – 13th (456 points)
- 2011/12 – 7th (461 points)
- 2010/11 – 7th (400 points)